7 Troublesome Motorcycle Myths
In just a few short weeks, the temperatures will begin to climb, the snow will melt, and the roads will be prime for cruising. Motorcyclists all over Colorado, and across the country will soon be rolling their rides out of the garage and getting them ready for the season. To help keep both riders and motorists safe, we’d like to take this time to address a few of the most common and troublesome motorcycle myths.
- Full-faced helmets obstruct a rider’s vision. The Department of Transportation has established safety standards that mandate a minimum 210° field of view, so the rider’s peripheral vision won’t be restricted. As an added bonus, full-face helmets will shield your face from the elements, bugs, and road debris.
- Bikers wear leather to look cool. Although they do look pretty cool, leathers provide more than style points. The unique properties of leather offer extreme resistance to road abrasion and insulation against chilly air. A staple of the motorcycle culture since the 1920s, leather jackets have evolved to include protective padding for elbows and shoulders. Also commonly found in riders’ wardrobes these days, are leather boots, vests, and gloves.
- Beginners can ride big bikes. Big bikes can weigh over 700 pounds, making them more difficult to handle in turns and tight spaces like parking lots. Bigger engines have more torque that requires some expertise to handle properly. A little twist of the throttle can produce an unintentional wheel spin that could leave you on the ground. You’re better off working your way up to a big bike.
- Surface roads are safer than the Interstate. Actually, the opposite is true. A 2007 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study showed that 91 percent of all collisions involving a passenger vehicle and a motorcycle happen on roads other than interstates. Even though the traffic moves more slowly, it is more congested with more start and stop traffic, and more opportunities for collisions with other vehicles.
- Motorists will see you. The concept of defensive driving is especially important for motorcyclists– assume that drivers will not see you, and drive accordingly. Staying close to dividing lines and in the left-hand lane on roads with a shoulder, will help you avoid drivers’ blind spots and give you two options for swerving if something unexpected happens. Wearing brightly-colored or reflective clothing can also increase your visibility.
- A loud exhaust will help you get noticed. Because the exhaust sound is directed to the rear of the bike, using loud exhaust pipes to try to alert drivers of your presence will probably not work out the way you want. Drivers often keep their windows closed and radios on anyway, so even big bikes have difficulty getting the attention of motorists. Concentrate more on being seen.
- Lay your bike down if you’re about to crash. The last place you want to be in a crash is the pavement, so really, you’re just better off braking and attempting to swerve. Keeping your bike regularly maintained and driving defensively in an attempt to avoid collisions altogether is the best way to stay safe.
Contact Our Experienced Denver Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is important to know your legal rights. Our experienced Denver motorcycle accident lawyers can help you obtain the money you need to fully recover. Contact the Denver motorcycle accident attorneys at Paysinger Law today to discuss your case. Our law firm offers FREE case consultations and can be reached at 303.279.0221.
What Our Clients Say About us
See the difference family makes at Paysinger Law.
Thank you so much for all of your hard work. I think you did a great job! I will definitely pass your name along to anyone I know who’s hurt for the free consultation.
I don’t know where I would be without the Law Offices of Robert Paysinger. It was a very emotional experience, and I feel as if I owe Mr. Paysinger my life! The other lawyers would promise everything, but it was only here that I felt his integrity and willingness to live up to his word. He and the paralegals were so incredibly helpful throughout the strenuous process of my case. Going through a lawsuit is an emotional roller coaster, but whenever I was confused they would sit and explain everything in terms that I could understand. They provided an emotional support and treated me like family. It’s never about the money there, but about you, if you are upset they will do everything to help you, and work extremely hard for you. They are extremely honest and straight forward. I would recommend Mr. Paysinger to everyone, because they truly and genuinely care about you.
At the Law Offices of Robert Paysinger, I was very pleased with the professionalism and courteousness of everyone who worked on my case. I had a horrible experience with my boss and dealing with my company regarding my workman’s comp. I came to the Paysinger Law Offices and received a settlement for what was needed to further my medical care so that I can heal and get back to work. He defended my rights when they were violated and I am very happy with the results! Thank you!
I, James Pacho, appreciate everything that the Law Offices of Robert Paysinger, PC. For the help of making me get the amount of money I received including reducing my hospital bills, helping to get me a home.
James E. Pacho
Thanks to Robert Paysinger and Thomas Quinn for the hard work with my case. You guys are excellent and I will recommend you to everybody else. Keep doing an excellent job.
Thank you so much for all the hard work to Robert and his staff. I was very happy with all their services.
Thanks, Robert, for all the help with my accidents (both of them). You always promptly returned my calls and were extremely helpful whenever I had questions. After my motorcycle accident, you helped me understand how to better protect myself in the future, and because of that when I got in my car accident a year later, you were the only person I considered calling.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Fill out the form below and an attorney will contact you regarding your case within 24 hours.