That same study also found that pedestrians as a whole, on Halloween night have a 55.6% higher chance of being involved in a fatal accident, than on non-Halloween nights.
While many factors contribute to the increase in fatal pedestrians accident on Halloween, including the fact that more pedestrians on the street necessarily mean the chances of accidents also increase, excited children not paying attention to their surroundings, dark and difficult to see costumes, and the always present danger of distracted driving, the study found that the most common factor in these accidents are intoxicated drivers.
Halloween is typically a popular night to go out and party, and while the current pandemic may force many to cancel previous plans, there will still be a number of people out and celebrating. And most of the time, that means drinking.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has been campaigning all month in an effort to raise awareness of how dangerous drunk driving is, and to encourage people to use designated drivers or public transportation.
The NHTSA has also provided some helpful Halloween safety tips for both pedestrians and drivers, that will help make all of us safer this hallows eve:
Halloween Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Use the sidewalk. If a sidewalk isn’t available where you’re walking, be sure to walk facing traffic so that you can see the cars that are headed your way. Always assume you won’t be visible to a driver, and take appropriate caution. Better safe than sorry.
- Use the crosswalk, and make sure you follow the lights. Don’t cross on a ‘Don’t Walk’ signal, and don’t walk while looking at your phone or texting. Distracted walking can be very dangerous.
- Make sure that drivers can see you. Dark costumes, while possibly fitting for the spooky holiday, make you difficult to see. Carry and use a flashlight while walking around, so that drivers can see the beam of light, and consider wearing clothing that is reflective, or affix reflective tape to your costume.
- Before you head out to celebrate Halloween, make plans to get home safely. Arrange for a ride or other transportation home ahead of time. Walking while drunk can be very dangerous.
Halloween Safety Tips for Drivers
- Don’t drive distracted! It’s Halloween, so people will be out on the street. Make sure you’re paying attention and keeping a sharp eye out for pedestrians.
- Don’t forget, you’ll be a pedestrian as soon as you get where you’re going, and leave your vehicle. Make sure you’re staying aware of what the cars on the road are doing
- Don’t hesitate to call the police if you notice a drunk driver. You’re not a snitch, you’re helping protect innocent people from getting hurt.
- If it’s dark out or otherwise difficult to see, be sure to pay extra close attention. There may be pedestrians in dark costumes that could be difficult to see.
- Be sure to slow down in areas where there is a lot of foot traffic. A slower speed will leave you more time to react should the unexpected happen.
So do your part to help ensure everyone has a safe, and spooky, Halloween.
Contact Our Lakewood Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Today
After an accident, you need a law firm in your corner that can fight the insurance companies and protect your rights. Insurance companies do not want to pay injured pedestrian accident victims what they need – and deserve. That is why accident victims need to call an experienced pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible.
Call the family-run, Lakewood personal injury law firm of Paysinger Law, P.C., and see the difference that family makes. We offer free initial consultations so you can review all of your legal options. Call us at 303.279.0221, or fill out our confidential contact form on this page. We are ready to fight for you and your rights to compensation. Get help today!
What Our Clients Say About us
See the difference family makes at Paysinger Law.
Thank you so much for all of your hard work. I think you did a great job! I will definitely pass your name along to anyone I know who’s hurt for the free consultation.
I don’t know where I would be without the Law Offices of Robert Paysinger. It was a very emotional experience, and I feel as if I owe Mr. Paysinger my life! The other lawyers would promise everything, but it was only here that I felt his integrity and willingness to live up to his word. He and the paralegals were so incredibly helpful throughout the strenuous process of my case. Going through a lawsuit is an emotional roller coaster, but whenever I was confused they would sit and explain everything in terms that I could understand. They provided an emotional support and treated me like family. It’s never about the money there, but about you, if you are upset they will do everything to help you, and work extremely hard for you. They are extremely honest and straight forward. I would recommend Mr. Paysinger to everyone, because they truly and genuinely care about you.
At the Law Offices of Robert Paysinger, I was very pleased with the professionalism and courteousness of everyone who worked on my case. I had a horrible experience with my boss and dealing with my company regarding my workman’s comp. I came to the Paysinger Law Offices and received a settlement for what was needed to further my medical care so that I can heal and get back to work. He defended my rights when they were violated and I am very happy with the results! Thank you!
I, James Pacho, appreciate everything that the Law Offices of Robert Paysinger, PC. For the help of making me get the amount of money I received including reducing my hospital bills, helping to get me a home.
James E. Pacho
Thanks to Robert Paysinger and Thomas Quinn for the hard work with my case. You guys are excellent and I will recommend you to everybody else. Keep doing an excellent job.
Thank you so much for all the hard work to Robert and his staff. I was very happy with all their services.
Thanks, Robert, for all the help with my accidents (both of them). You always promptly returned my calls and were extremely helpful whenever I had questions. After my motorcycle accident, you helped me understand how to better protect myself in the future, and because of that when I got in my car accident a year later, you were the only person I considered calling.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Fill out the form below and an attorney will contact you regarding your case within 24 hours.