Do’s and Don’ts After a Car Accident
According to driverknowledge.com there are as many as six million car accidents across the United States each and every year, with more than 90 people dying in car accidents daily. Despite the vast amounts of consumer education regarding seatbelts, 1 in 7 drivers do not wear a seatbelt. Impairment, fatigue, speeding and reckless driving have long been significant factors in car accidents, however distracted driving is fast moving up the list to become the primary cause of car accidents. Considering your chances of having at least one—and probably more—car accident in your lifetime are high, it is a good idea to be aware of some important do’s and don’ts after a car accident. Let’s first consider the things you should do after a crash:
Car Accident Do’s
- Always seek medical attention for all those involved in the accident before you do anything else. Even if you think you are “okay” remember that the rush of adrenaline which floods your body during a car accident can often mask injury symptoms. It is always a good idea to have yourself checked out at the ER or by your own doctor following a car accident
- Always contact the police following a car accident. Many times, when a car accident is not all that serious, one party may ask the other to forego calling the police and just “handle” the situation between the parties. This is virtually never a good idea. It could turn out that the other person does not actually have insurance, the person could admit fault at the time of the accident then change his or her story, or they could give you false information, leaving you stuck with the expenses associated with the accident.
- Always obtain the license plate numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident, as well as the drivers’ names, addresses, insurance information and telephone numbers.
- Whenever possible, take photographs at the scene of the accident. Try to get multiple angles, the surrounding areas, and the damage to the vehicles.
- Contact your insurance company immediately following your accident.
- Keep detailed records of everything associated with your auto accident, including all medical expenses.
- Contact an experienced car accident attorney as quickly as possible following your accident.
Car Accident Don’ts
And now for the things you should not do after a crash:
- Don’t move your vehicle unless it is necessary for your safety or the safety of others.
- Don’t put yourself at further risk by waiting in the middle of a street or intersection.
- Never leave the scene of an accident.
- Never admit fault at the scene, even if you believe you might have been at fault. Do not even say “I’m sorry” to the other driver as this can be taken as an admission of guilt.
- Don’t agree to settlement terms without first speaking to an experienced Colorado car accident attorney. Far too many people wait until they are having trouble getting the insurance company to pay before contacting a knowledgeable car accident attorney, however the sooner you bring your attorney on board, the more likely he or she will be able to tip the scales in your favor.
Contact Our Lakewood Car Accident Attorneys
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident in Denver, Lakewood, Aurora, or anywhere in the state of Colorado, we are on your side. Call Paysinger Law, P.C. today to discuss your case. Our law firm offers FREE case consultations and can be reached at 303.279.0221.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
Fill out the form below and an attorney will contact you regarding your case within 24 hours.